How to request an open enrollment waiver

If a health insurance company refuses to enroll you because you do not have a qualifying life event and it is outside the open enrollment period, you can request an open enrollment waiver from the Office of Patient Protection (OPP) to allow you to enroll in health insurance.

First, you must apply for health insurance. If you enroll through HSA Insurance, do not have a qualifying event, and are denied enrollment, you will receive written notice by email. Once you receive the notice denying enrollment in health insurance, you may request an open enrollment waiver.

How do I request a waiver?

Step 1: Complete the OPP Waiver Form

Step 2: Attach a copy of your notice denying enrollment; 

Step 3: Send the waiver form and notice denying enrollment to OPP by mail or by fax (see instructions on form).

Once I fill out the enrollment waiver form, how long will it take to get an answer?

OPP will respond to you within 30 days of receiving your waiver form.  

What happens if OPP approves my request for an open enrollment waiver?

You must submit your waiver to Upon receipt, HSA Insurance will review your previously submitted application with your approved waiver.

What happens if OPP denies my request for an open enrollment waiver?

You must wait until the next open enrollment period.

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us